I’m obsessed with podcasts.
It all began at the gym, when I was bored listening to the same “gym” playlist over and over. I branched out to Pandora and Apple music. But more frequently, I was finding myself losing interest and unmotivated by some of my favorite songs. It wasn’t enough anymore, so I tried one podcast. One turned into two, two into three, and now I have a variety of favorites that inspire me to do better, be better and learn more about my industry, myself, or my family.
I’ve branched out to listening to them while I get ready in the morning, when I’m in my car driving around town, cooking dinner…wherever I can. Some podcasts are super short while others are an hour. The great thing about them is that I don’t have to stop what I’m doing to watch a video, which as a mom is nearly impossible to do. This is occupying my brain while I’m doing mundane chores around the house, provided the kids are occupied of course.
I know there are so many podcasts now that it’s hard to know where to begin. Here is a roundup of some great, fan-favorite podcasts to try (along with their descriptions from their show summaries):
Recommendations from women:
- They See Me Mommin’: 1 mum, 1 mom. Both OC transplants from either side of the pond; united by our love for comedy, family life, blogging and all things Harry Potter.
- Just Add Sprinkles: Go ahead! Shake that jar of sprinkles and celebrate your role as a mom.
- The Chalene Show: Tips, resources, interviews and practical steps to help you improve energy, balance, organization, health, fitness, relationships, focus, faith and happiness.
- Build Your Tribe: How to create influence that matters and content that creates conversion. Interviews and practical strategies from top internet influencers on how to build your email list, create a virtual community, strengthen a tribe and bring a powerful group of like minded people together to make a difference in the world.
- Coffee + Crumbs: This podcast is your companion for kitchen cleanups, stroller walks, or the daily carpool hustle.
- The Mom Hour: Weekly conversations offer practical tips and real-life encouragement for moms who want to enjoy motherhood more, and cut back on comparison, worry, and stress.
- My Brother, My Brother, and Me: For one-half to three-quarters of an hour every Monday, we tell people how to live their lives, because we’re obviously doing such a great job of it so far.
- Risen Motherhood: A weekly podcast for moms. A space to remember we are not alone in our experiences, be challenged to have joy among the chaos, remember grace covers guilt, and seek the truth of the gospel above all else.
- Joyce Meyer: Enjoying Everyday Life® is a daily TV and radio broadcast provided by Joyce Meyer Ministries. Topics vary.
- Rick Warren’s Daily Hope: Apply biblical wisdom to your marriage, children, spiritual growth, hurts, habits, and purpose on this earth.
- For the Love by Jen Hatmaker: “For the love” of…People. Home. Stories. Shoes. Family. Jesus. Community. TV. Travel. Food. Culture. The hilarious best-selling author and star of HGTV’s “My Big Family Renovation” invites you to drop by and catch up with her friends as they laugh and chat about all the things we love.
- Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations: Awaken, discover and connect to the deeper meaning of the world around you with SuperSoul.
Business/Real Estate (because that’s what I do!):
- Marie Forleo: Named by Oprah as a thought leader for the next generation and one of Inc.’s 500 fastest growing companies, Marie Forleo’s goal is to help you become the person you most want to be.
- The Influencer: The Influencer Podcast is an innovative podcast that explores the secrets behind the ever-changing trends of influencer marketing and the careers of today’s top social influencers.
- The GaryVee Audio Experience: Hosted by entrepreneur, CEO, investor, vlogger, and public speaker Gary Vaynerchuk. On this podcast you’ll find a mix of my #AskGaryVee show episodes, keynote speeches on marketing and business, segments from my DAILYVEE video series, interviews and fireside chats I’ve given, as well as new and current thoughts I record originally for this audio experience!
- Girl Boss Radio with Sophia Amoruso: Sophia interviews boundary-pushing women who’ve made their mark—eschewing polite conversation and extracting solid advice from the lessons they’ve learned along the way.
- Impact Real Estate Success with Aaron Zapata (Real Estate): Dedicated to helping real estate agents reach ultimate success in their real estate sales career while maintaining a balance of work-life integration.
- Coach Tom Ferry (Real Estate): With this channel, his mission is to create short, impactful training sessions three times a week and make them accessible for anyone who wants the training.
- Up First by NPR: NPR’s Up First is the news you need to start your day. The biggest stories and ideas — from politics to pop culture — in 10 minutes.
- Dirty John by Wondery: Debra Newell is a successful interior designer. She meets John Meehan, a handsome man who seems to check all the boxes: attentive, available, just back from a year in Iraq with Doctors Without Borders. But her family doesn’t like John. And they get entangled in an increasingly complex web of love, deception, forgiveness, denial, and ultimately, survival. Reported and hosted by Christopher Goffard from the L.A. Times.
- S-Town: S-Town is an investigative journalism podcast hosted by Brian Reed and created by the producers of Serial and This American Life.
- Hardcore History: Journalist and broadcaster Dan Carlin takes his “Martian,” unorthodox way of thinking and applies it to the past. Was Alexander the Great as bad a person as Adolf Hitler? What would Apaches with modern weapons be like?
- The History Chicks: Two women. Half the population. Several thousand years of history. About an hour. Go.
- Serial by This American Life: Serial is a podcast from the creators of This American Life, hosted by Sarah Koenig. Serial unfolds one story – a true story – over the course of a whole season.
Recommendations from men:
- Jocko: Retired Navy SEAL, Jocko Willink and Director, Echo Charles discuss discipline and leadership in business, war, relationships and everyday life.
- Philosophize This: For anyone interested in an educational podcast about philosophy where you don’t need to be a graduate-level philosopher to understand it. In chronological order, the thinkers and ideas that forged the world we live in are broken down and explained.
- Pete and Sebastian: Two A-list comedians, Pete Correale and Sebastian Maniscalco, get together once a week to create a tight comedy radio show with stories and comedy bits.
- How I Built This: Guy Raz dives into the stories behind some of the world’s best known companies. How I Built This weaves a narrative journey about innovators, entrepreneurs and idealists—and the movements they built.
- Invisibilia by NPR: Unseeable forces control human behavior and shape our ideas, beliefs, and assumptions. Invisibilia—Latin for invisible things—fuses narrative storytelling with science that will make you see your own life differently.